Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Dear Kids - please read when you're older than 15

Dear soon-to-be-born-Kopans-twins-whom-we-think-will-be-named-Zachary-and-Eden,
Your mother and I watched Barack Obama's inauguration with you all today (you were still inside mummy, but you were there, nonetheless). We expect to meet you two within the month. We're both very excited and very nervous (I'm more nervous than your mum who's been taking care of you for the past 9 months and, I think, is looking forward to having her bladder back). Anyway, as we were watching the President being sworn in, one of you (I think it was Eden) tried to push her hand (I think it was a hand - mummy thinks it was your bum) through mummy's stomach, as if trying to get to see the event.

We're, of course, thrilled that you will be born in an America with Barack Obama as president and not George Bush (I am, obviously, writing this before President Obama had to leave the office in disgrace because of that thing that he hasn't done yet). We're both more than a little lefty politically - mum would rather that we just moved back to Canada, but because of Obama winning the Presidency, there's an argument to have that America is further left than Canada - not a good argument, but at least we have a fighting chance (Americans like fighting chances). At this point, we assume that you'll rebel against us by becoming all Conservative. Obviously, we don't know anything about that HORRIBLE thing you did in High School that, frankly, we're probably still pissed about.

Ok, here's the thing - I've never had a child before, much less two, and I'm kind of freaked out. I'm worried that I won't know what to do when something goes wrong with you (or even things that are normal - diapers?!?) Then there's things like teaching you how to read, toilet training, taking you to swim classes, hockey practice, teaching you French, guitar, video games, then there's Hebrew school, your b'nai mitzvah, High School, College, grad school, who knows what you'll want to do and how we can give you everything you need to do well and be happy. Right now, I'm completely focused on the first year of your lives - trying to figure out how your mum and I will be able to fight through exhaustion (assuming y'all aren't going to sleep through the night for a while) and keep you all safe and us sane.

Fortunately, your mum is unbelievably competent and calm. She'll be super patient with you all and, hopefully, with me. She and I really are best friends - we're always happier doing things together. You all will be the best and most important thing we'll do - and I'm so glad we're doing it together. Also, Grandma, Grandpa were really good parents (despite their various quirks - and, yes, they were always like that) so I have some good examples.

So, I look forward to meeting you soon (today is January 20 - you're tentatively scheduled to be born via c-section on February 16) but there's no rush - we want you to grow inside mummy as long as possible. I hope I'm a good dad, and you all don't blame me for too many problems. Your mum and I are going to try our best and we hope you all are happy. See you soon!

Love,
Dad (technically, I'm still just Matt, but you'll know me as Dad, so why confuse things)

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet post. You and Dana are great parents already so you have nothing to worry about. Besides it take a village and all that crap right?

    ReplyDelete