Monday, February 23, 2009

Busy busy

Sorry it's taken so long for me to post again - life with twins isn't particularly busy (eat, poop, sleep, repeat), but until we left the hospital, there wasn't much else to say and, as the kids hadn't really put on any new outfits or been in new environs, pictures seemed superfluous.

On Friday, however, with Dana planning on coming home, our friend Sara (P-ICU nurse and superhero) came to help us transition. Due to a silly and not-at-all-dangerous prescription mix-up, Dana was forced to stay in the hospital for an extra night. I had spent the night with her Thursday night, and we got about 6 hours of sleep (in two hour chunks). The same happened Friday night (D was on her own, but had no problems).

On Saturday, as we were packing up getting ready to go, and my parents and Aunt Leslie showed up to help us bring the kids home (their "help" mostly consisted of my mom yelling at my dad to take pictures - stay tuned, I'll post them here once I get 'em from dad). D's parents arrived late that night, so we didn't see them until Sunday morning.

Sunday was a big family day - as I recall, I don't really remember much of that day, except being tired (still getting 6 hours in two hour chunks, but it's somehow still sapping our brain power).

Today was the craziest day yet. At 11am D and I had to go to the hospital to get her blood checked (still dealing with that drug mix-up). When we got back to the house, it was filled with my mom's family, for the bris / naming ceremony. After that naming ceremony and bris (perhaps more traumatic for Dana and me than poor Zachary, who only cried for about 5 minutes) we had to leave the house full of Millners to take the kids to their first pediatricians' visit.

When we got to the Doctors' we were asked to get the kids out of their clothes to weigh and measure them. Eden went first. The moment her naked bum hit the scale she let out with, as Dana describes it, a fountain of pee. More pee then we've seen from her. This was the first omen for the rest of the visit. When Z's turn arrived, his diaper was already full of poo. I wiped him down and weighed him (both kids are gaining weight - the Dr. expects them back at their birth weights by next Monday). The Dr. was happy with them, answered all our questions, and suggested that we feed the kids before we left. As D hooked up Z, he let loose a massive load in his newly changed diapers. Meanwhile, E was getting really hungry - so I had to pace back and forth trying to comfort E (who was trying to nurse on my shirt pocket) while Z fed away, wallowing in his own poo. When it was finally E's turn for lunch, I changed Z diaper (third diaper in 20 minutes!) Our "new-parent" status was starting to show - we had run out of diaper supplies. Ransacking the Dr's cabinets we were able to jury-rig a change - packed up the kids, and got them home before they decided to leave us more surprises. Judy and Andria changed the kids when we got home (yes, they needed to be changed again) and D and I took a nap (which was WICKED!)

Anyway, things should settle down now that all the big family events are over. Judy'll be here for a few weeks to help us out, but their shouldn't be many other events. Folks from my department have been bringing us food (which has been fantastic) and things are going well. I'll post more video and photos as soon as I get stuff from this past few days. Here's a vid of Zack hiccuping (both babies hiccup frequently - it doesn't bother them and it's very cute!)

No comments:

Post a Comment